Monday, January 29, 2007

TSS Honors Drummer Jerry Fuchs

I imagined Maserati's live show is a bit similar to that of NYC's The Turing Machine; the drums driving the live performance, giving the guitars something to work around and add to. And after a bit more research, this would make sense seeing as Jerry Fuchs contributes to both bands as the drummer. Up until I witnessed Turing Machine live, about every other band I saw live ended up being my "favorite live show" because the previous had faded from my memory before I saw another concert. But when it comes to TM's impromptu, single-song (granted it was 13 minutes) set opening for Death From Above, I can to this day say it was the sweatiest and most energetic set I've witnessed and definitely my "favorite set" of all-time. The drummer (Fuchs) did things with a single bass petal I had never witnessed before and have yet seen duplicated. The fills during the set still play in my head 3 years later. I remember the guitarist lifting his head after the end of the song and pools of sweat pouring from his foggy glasses as the crowd starred wide-eyed. You get the picture... it was a great show.
Well, Maserati's latest album features Fuchs at his best, defining himself as the centerpiece of yet another band. I've included Maserati's second full-length and Turing Machine's second
full-length releases below. To the right is the only known photo of the mysterious, hermit-like drummer. Wherever you are, Jerry, we thank you for this great music.

Maserati - Inventions for the New Season (2007)

Turing Machine - Zwei (2004)
("Synchronicity III" seems to be missing a portion)

No comments: